Kickin it in Kampala

Well, work is officially over. It is very strage. Leaving everyone, and going on to something new and exciting. I am very torn, with ending all the crazy adventures i have just been through and moving on to the next. Adele will be here in 20 hours!!! Oh my. I am so so excited and blessed to have Adele come here to travel with me. It will be awesome i know it.

We spent our debrief time on bushara island on lake bunyoni, an dit was absolutley beautiful. I have all these pictures resized and ready for posting but i left my USB in Mbarara at Canada House. So i will post them in the next few days... would have been nice though cause the internet here, is almost as fast as at home. Almost. So, yeah, i didnt' get much sleep the last night on bushara, thinking of all i have been through, all i have seen, all i could go on too. I am really in a strange place, and i think it will take me a while to process. I think my culture shock coming back will be alot worse than coming here. I think i had a douse of it my last night on bushara. I keep having faces of people i have met flash in my mind. The baby with HIV that died, the young girl praise that died unexpectadely, all these people i have been working with who have HIV, the whole memory book team. I will never ever forget these people, I can't.
Anyways, I am in Kampala for the day, i went to the craft market today to buy some presents for all you wonderful people at home. And guess what, i am going for the big culture shock and am even going to the movie theatre in a few hours, to see the new Drew Barrymoore and Hugh Grant movie, Music and Lyrics!! Should be very strage, like the mall i am at right now. It's Garden City, a huge "mzungu"(white person) mall. I think the internet cafe i am in right now even has air conditioning!! PG!! (Praise God)

I went to Kampala Penecostal Church today, my first time seeing a white preacher since the international church i went to with Kristy. It was good, focused on the family, and children, they had all the children on stage to help lead worship, it was pretty cool. I stayed for a service and a half. They have 4 service at that church, with overflow rooms and balcony....CRAZY!! Did you know that Uganda is the youngest nation in the world, being that 50% of the population is below 15 years old!! It's also the 3rd fastest growing nation in the world. The average Ugandan Family has 6 1/2 children. And 4 1/2 times more money is spent on alcohol here than on education..... NUTS. Thats what I lernt today! It was really nice to be at a "normal" dare i say, church. But as i left, i was quickly reminded that i was in africa as i heard someone scream behind the front main lobby desk, i was alarmed, and there was a crowd. Some man was being beaten up. I peaked over the counter just in time to see the man kicked in the chest... It was really disturbing. I don't know why it happened, i didn't want to get involved so i kept moving.
Well, I am heading out to the Entebbe airport with Laura tommorow, to see her off, and to see Adele in! I am VERY excited!

Keep praying, and keep in touch.
Love Mellon

No comments: