January 5th

I am writing from camp. Last night I slept very well, it was cool and there has been a full moon so it is almost day light all through the night because it is so bright. But before I forget, here is the link to Laura’s Blog, because she wrote an “in detail” account of our Christmas holidays. At this point I can’t be bothered to write it all out myself, seeing how she has done such a first-class job. Be for warned though, that it is fairly lengthy and you may need a good 15min to plough through it. Please do, I highly recommend it. http://lauradevries.blogspot.com
I feel as though I am making a cross over from the lowly place where I have been. I am still not entirely clear as to why I was in that place. It is quite possibly due to a combination of cross cultural shock, trouble connecting with my team, allowing my mind to dictate daily life and failing to spiritually feed myself. These things have proven to be quite detrimental. I have to admit, within me, I still want to tell you all that I am ok, and have everything under control and everything is going to be ok and not to worry. It is so tough to be completely honest with where I am at in my heart and my daily life. Constantly wondering if people will judge me, thinking that I am a failure, or that I am not worthy of the position I am in. It is driving me to have faith in the promise that God uses broken people to do great things, and that you don’t have to “have it all together” before you can make a difference in the world. Jesus was the only one who had it all together. So maybe I am trying to be an example for all of you that you don’t need to wait, until you “feel” you are ready or qualified to do something productive. Whether it is on a small scale, in your home, circle of friends, or community, or a larger one like being overseas, or working in your government, or whatever. I am in no way trying to build myself up. The things I am doing, I can only hope and pray will make the slightest difference in at least one person’s life. If I was to wait until I “felt” I was ready or eligible to do what I what I am doing, I may have never done it. I was scared out of my wits before I came, about whether I would be able to complete my “tasks” or be effective in my posting. But I can’t focus on those things because then I am destined for failure. I have to place everything I am, in God’s hands, for in God’s hand everything is possible. The minute I try to do things in my own strength, and my own will, I always run into problems after set backs after dilemmas. It’s a daily process though. I always have to lay down my thoughts, feeling, goals and aspirations, cause it is my human nature to want to strive out of my own strength, to succeed, and be on top. It is a whole lot harder to sit back, be humble, and vulnerable to a faith in an unseen force that “so they say” has everything under its power. These are the very things that I have been struggling with. It may have seemed to some people (or perhaps just in my mind) that I am an emotional mess, but through out this whole process, I knew I was going to come out. “Consider it pure joy when you face trails of many kinds. For it develops perseverance…” Now I honestly wasn’t regarding it as “pure joy” (I think you might actually have to be Jesus to do that.) but I definitely know within my deep that I was going through a process, a refining, a developing of my character. I think that the deeper you go, the better the change will be. Sometime we have flaws or habits that go so deep that we will have to go through an ultimate low to get out of them. So here I am, on the upside of the valley!
Ok, on with business! I just received a phone call, and the budget for Memory Book Work has been approved!! Praise God! The total came to $1,845,000 Ugandan Shillings! This comes to about $1,155 Canadian Dollars! So the ball is officially rolling! So now there are a few loose ends that need to be tied up. Like the translating of some pre and post survey’s, as well as a registration form and a thank you letter! So we are aiming for January 15th to the 19th for the 5 day training session. There will be 25 adults and one of their children that will be trained during this week. They will be instructed on how to make a memory book, helping others to make one, as well as will writing. We will provide some transport money to people who are coming from far, and one meal a day for all trainee’s and the four trainers. For those of you who are not clear on what exactly a memory book entails, I will break it down for you.
Memory book’s are made by HIV positive parents for they’re children. The process is a very emotional one, as parents are coming to grips with the fact that they will pass away and they’re children will be left under the care someone else. The book is broken down into pages of information and stories filled in usually by the mother under the following headings: The story of your family, other important facts about the family, your birth, the first time I saw you, growing up, your interests, my favorite memories of you, your like and dislikes, my hopes for your future, people who are special to you, your health, information about your mother, about my childhood and where I grew up, my education, my working life, my health, what I do in my free time, my likes and dislikes, thoughts about life and things I believe in, special memories, information about your father, important friends, important to me, about your father’s childhood and where he grew up, your fathers working life, your fathers health, what your father does/did in his free time, your fathers likes and dislikes, your fathers special interests/talents, special memories of your father, what your father thinks/thought about life and what he believed/believes in, important friends of your father, our family home, information about your relatives and family traditions and special events. A memory book becomes important to the child as it gives him the family history and the parents future expectations which guides him in life and gives him/her a sense of belonging. It can take any amount of time to complete a memory book, depending on who is creating it. The parents will make future plans for their children during the process through the making of a will.
Please your prayers would be greatly appreciated during this week. We are aiming to have the training from January 15th to the 19th. So hopefully I will have made it to an internet connection to post this so you can all be aware of it! For those that would like to continue praying, I ask that you would direct your prayers to help the development of a sustainable system for the Memory Book Work Program (MBWP), strong and motivated volunteers to head it up, families to make memory books, as well as the minor detail of funding.
Thank you again to all of those that are praying and to everyone that reads this blog and takes an interest in this work. If anyone has any questions, concerns or comments of any kind or would like to make a donation please feel free to contact me or the ACTS head office at the following:

ACTS: www.acts.ca
info@acts.ca
1.250.339.1212
PO Box 1515, Comox BC Canada V9M8A2
Melanie: http://melanieorr.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/melanieorr
melanieorr@africamail.com

Ruhanga Abie Nywe – God Be With You

No comments: